Original Land Ark
The perfect all-natural oil wood finish for:
Cabinets, Doors, Wood Paneling, Floors
100% natural, non-altered ingredients from sustainable resources
Environmentally Friendly: Biodegradable, non-ozone depleting, contains linseed and tung oil, pine rosin, beeswax and citrus oil.
No chemicals, dryers, or petroleum based products.
Hardens, and then cures, much like old-time, varnish-like, furniture finish
Reduces checking. Experience shows that timbers that have begun dramatic twisting often stop checking further, even in green oak.
On timber frames and logs, Land Ark is ideally applied right after joinery is completed, before assembly of structure. While waiting, it will reduce checking; during erection logs will soil little; after assembly clean up is easily done with Land Ark and scouring pad. And if structure is exposed to weather, it is protected.
Land Ark Natural Wood Finish is available as:
- Original Liquid Interior Finish (the basic finish)
- Liquid Exterior Finish (the basic finish with Mildewcide and UVA added)
- Soft wax / End grain sealer (most important, as the immediate drying of timber takes place at the end grain)
- Colors if needed, for the time being, to be mixed by yourself.
Contains no petroleum products, chemical additives, or metallic drying agents.
- Tung oil: 100% pure with no additives; highest quality; dries harder and more durable than linseed oil alone. Both of the oils are dryer-free and slightly heat-treated (polymerized).
- Flaxseed oil: Purified and refined by natural oxidation; dries as clear or clearer than tung oil, with none of the characteristic discoloration that is typical of hardware store varieties. No other finishing oil penetrates as deeply into wood.
- Beeswax: Filtered, chemical and bleach-free capping wax is used. Beeswax adds visual depth of grain, smoothness, and elastic durability to the finish; it also forms a skim coat that keeps the finish on the wood, slowing the evaporation of the solvent, and thus giving the oil more time for absorption.
- d-Limonene: Food grade. This is the purest form of citrus turpenes (citrus extract), and it is extracted only from the cold-pressed oil of the orange peel. It is the only solvent used in Land Ark finishes.
- Natural rosin: Gum rosin extracted from the sap of the pine tree and separated from the turpentine. This is the gum rosin found in heart pine, giving the wood its hardness and durability. No synthetic rosins are used.
- Cypress oil is no longer available. We are now using a fungicide and UVA that both have safe environmental profiles. MSDS reports available on request.
We regret that for some time we were unable to secure adequate quantities of this wood finish, due to circumstances beyond our control. Now, the original Land Ark is back, with a new production facility, to serve USA and Canada equally.
Suitable with any applicator and application technique: thin-and-dry coating, surface flooding and buff dry, wet sanding, French polishing, mechanical buffing. Avoid application in direct sunlight if at all possible.
For interior, use as a primer to maintain dimensional stability, a base coat, or a complete one or two-coat finish on any wood. Minimum coverage 300–400 sq. ft. or 500–700 sq. ft. per gallon. Note: Rough-sawn materials absorb more.
For logs, timbers, floors, T&G decking: apply wet-on-wet coats, allow time for absorption. Remove abrasions, dirt etc, with ScotchBrite stripping pad dipped in finish.
Fine woodwork: build thin coats with brush or any suitable application method; avoid application in direct sun if possible; avoid rain until dry. May be thickened with soft wax.
Before application, treatment with commercial borate solution is essential for long-term protection against mold and insects. This will also "break" the mill glaze, which is just as important. Avoid rain and direct sun. Apply 2–4 wet-on-wet coats, allowing 1–8 hours between coats. Re-apply 1–2 final wet coats in 3–4 months. Clean the wood surface and re-apply as often as desired or as required by your climate (in some areas it could be up to 10 years before you need another coat); there is no need to sand, just re-apply directly over existing Land Ark products. Treat all sides and edges with borate solution and wood finish.
Typical coverage 300–400 sq. ft. or 500–700 sq. ft. per gallon, with rough-sawn materials absorbing more.
A superb end grain & joinery sealer (will NOT stain timbers) for floors, cabinets, doors, furniture, fine woodwork: as a top coat for added sheen; for refurbishing dry, dull logs, timbers, or any woodwork.
Excellent for periodic maintenance and cleaning of timber frames
Apply on bare wood or over liquid finish in one of two ways: (1) rub in coats, as thin as possible, like a polish. Buff dry after absorption. Or (2) apply heavy coats, let dry until stiff, then polish with power buffer.
Got questions about which additives to use? Interested in adding color to your wood finish? Call us for a free consultation about YOUR project.
Land Ark Wood Finishes (17 KB)